- •There are 2 organizations conducting health technology assessment (HTA) activities in the Ministry of Health Malaysia with different scopes of activities.
- •Health technology assessment use for drug policy in the public sector is evident in the formulary decision-making process at the national level.
- •Though HTA is used as part of the Ministry of Health Formulary decision making process, there is still an avenue to improve the HTA process and expand its use in drug policy decisions.
Ministry of Health Malaysia.
Background to Drug Policies
Reimbursement and Pricing
Pricing in MOH
HTA: Current Status
Organizations Involved in HTA
MaHTAS: Role & Activities
Formulary Management Branch, PPDD: Role & Activities
|MaHTAS||Formulary management branch PPDD|
|Type of products evaluated||Medical devices, diagnostics & procedures, pharmaceuticals, programs||Pharmaceuticals|
|Type of HTA products||Rapid assessment|
|Purpose of evaluation||Provide evidence-based information for policy decisions of health technologies||Provide evidence-based information for Ministry of Health Medicines Formulary decision|
|Decision-making committee||HTA-CPG Council:||MOH Medicines List Review Panel|
|Duration of process||2 weeks—Rapid assessment|
2-4 months—mini HTA
|Staff profile||Medical doctor|
|Target group/stakeholders||Public sector|
|Accessibility to reports||Full access||Limited to internal stakeholders|
Use of HTA in Formulary Decision Making
- Appendix Table 1
- Appendix Table 3
- Malaysia Health System Review. Health Systems in Transition.World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland2013
- Ministry of Health Malaysia.
- Malaysia drug market update 2017. Pacific Bridge Medical.http://www.pacificbridgemedical.com/publication/malaysia-drug-market-update-2017Date accessed: January 15, 2018
- Global Strategy for Health for All by the Year 2000.(Geneva, Switzerland)1981
- Market review on priority sector under Competition Act 2010: pharmaceutical sector. Malaysia Competition Commission (MyCC).
- Pharmacy Programme Annual Report.Ministry of Health Malaysia, 2014
- Ministry of Health Malaysia.
- Drug Registration Guidance Document (DRGD).2nd ed. Ministry of Health Malaysia, 2017
- Evaluating drug prices, availability, affordability, and price components: implications for access to drugs in Malaysia.PLoS Med. 2007; 4: e82
- Federal Government Gazette: goods and services tax (zero-rated supply) order 2014.Attorney General's Chambers, 2014
- Malaysia's Government Procurement Regime.Ministry of Finance Malaysia, Putrajaya2010
- Malaysian National Medicines Policy 2012.2nd ed. Ministry of Health Malaysia, 2013
- Price comparison between innovator and generic medicines sold by community pharmacies in the State of Penang, Malaysia.J Generic Med. 2008; 6: 35-42
- Pharmacy Programme Annual Report 2016.Pharmaceutical Services Division, 2016
- Pharmaceutical pricing in Malaysia.in: Babar Z.U.D. Pharmaceutical Prices in the 21st Century, Switzerland2014
- International medical products price guide.
- Regional Framework for Action on Access to Essential Medicines in the Western Pacific (2011-2016).(Switzerland)2012
- Guidelines for submission of dossier for listing into the Ministry of Health Medicines Formulary.Ministry of Health Malaysia, Selangor2016
- Technology Assessment Section, Ministry of Health Malaysia.
- Health Technology Assessment Manual.(Vol MOH/P/PAK/297.15 (GU)) Medical Development Division. Ministry of Health Malaysia, 2015
- MaHTAS. MAA-18 WHO Collaborating Centre for Evidence Based Practice.http://www.wpro.who.int/whocc_forum/agenda/c_universal_health_coverage/en/Date accessed: October 30, 2017
- MaHTAS e-Newsletter.
- Drug control and formulary management in Malaysia.Value Health. 2008; 11: S158-159
- Panduan kepada Formulari Ubat KKM (Guidelines to the MOH Formulary).2nd ed. Ministry of Health Malaysia, Petaling Jaya, Malaysia2007: 1-15
- What's in a name? Developing definitions for common health technology assessment product types of the International Network of Agencies for Health Technology Assessment (INAHTA).Int J Technol Asess Health Care. 2014; 30: 430-437
- Pharmacoeconomic Guideline for Malaysia.Ministry of Health Malaysia, 2012
- Pharmacy Programme Annual Report.Ministry of Health Malaysia, 2013
- Pharmacy Programme Annual Report.Ministry of Health Malaysia, 2015
- Key principles for the improved conduct of health technology assessments for resource allocation decisions.Int J Technol Assess Health Care. 2008; 24 (discussion 362-368): 244-258
- Estimating an EQ-5D value set for Malaysia using time trade-off and visual analogue scale methods.Value Health. 2012; 15: S85-90
- Determination of cost-effectiveness threshold for health care interventions in Malaysia.Value Health. 2017; 20: 1131-1138
- Exploring the willingness-to-pay for a quality adjusted life-year in the state of Penang, Malaysia.ClinicoEconomics Outcomes Res. 2014; 6: 473-481
The authors have indicated that they have no conflicts of interest with regard to the content of this article.
User LicenseElsevier user license |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
Elsevier's open access license policy