- •The cost per prostate-specific membrane antigen (PSMA) positron emission tomography/computed tomography (PET/CT) procedure is not well established, with previous studies having several limitations, such as costs being based on expert opinion, a single facility, or details not provided. Furthermore, none of the studies estimated the cost of conducting PSMA PET/CT using 18F-DCFPyL.
- •The average cost of PSMA PET/CT based on the microcosting approach was A$1554.77 per PSMA PET/CT procedure, whereas the gross costing approach yielded A$1306.00 per PSMA PET/CT procedure, based on data from 8 facilities in Australia.
- •The cost of PSMA PET/CT is higher than the recently proposed reimbursement rate in Australia, suggesting patients will continue to face substantial out-of-pocket payments and limited access.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Global cancer statistics 2018: GLOBOCAN estimates of incidence and mortality worldwide for 36 cancers in 185 countries [published correction appears in CA Cancer J Clin. 2020;70(4):313].CA Cancer J Clin. 2018; 68: 394-424
- PSMA-PET/CT imaging in prostate cancer: why and when.Clin Transl Imaging. 2019; 7: 377-379
- Clinical implications of PET/CT in prostate cancer management.Transl Androl Urol. 2018; 7: 844-854
- Assessment of 68Ga-PSMA-11 PET accuracy in localizing recurrent prostate cancer: a prospective single-arm clinical trial.JAMA Oncol. 2019; 5: 856-863
- Prostate-specific membrane antigen PET-CT in patients with high-risk prostate cancer before curative-intent surgery or radiotherapy (proPSMA): a prospective, randomised, multicentre study.Lancet. 2020; 395: 1208-1216
- Diagnostic performance of 18F-DCFPyL-PET/CT in men with biochemically recurrent prostate cancer: results from the CONDOR Phase III, multicenter study.Clin Cancer Res. 2021; 27: 3674-3682
- Results from the OSPREY trial: a PrOspective Phase 2/3 Multi-Center Study of 18F-DCFPyL PET/CT Imaging in Patients with PRostate Cancer - Examination of Diagnostic AccuracY.J Nucl Med. 2019; 60: 586
- 68Ga or 18F for prostate cancer imaging?.J Nucl Med. 2017; 58: 687-688
- Australian Government Department of Health. Ratified PICO, application 1632: PSMA PET/CT imaging for informing treatment of patients with prostate cancer. (October 2020).http://www.msac.gov.au/internet/msac/publishing.nsf/Content/B2B42D6E89D50ED8CA258570001ED449/$File/1632%20Ratified%20PICO.pdfDate accessed: August 3, 2022
- FDA approves first PSMA-targeted PET imaging drug for men with prostate cancer. FDA, US Food and Drug Administration.https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-approves-first-psma-targeted-pet-imaging-drug-men-prostate-cancerDate accessed: May 28, 2021
- FDA approves second PSMA-targeted PET imaging drug for men with prostate cancer. FDA, US Food and Drug Administration.https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safety-and-availability/fda-approves-second-psma-targeted-pet-imaging-drug-men-prostate-cancerDate accessed: May 28, 2021
- Summary of product characteristics: GalliaPharm, 0.74-1.85 GBq, radionuclide generator. European Medicines Agency.https://mri.cts-mrp.eu/portal/details?productnumber=DK/H/2294/001Date accessed: October 1, 2021
- European Medicines Agency. Summary of Product Characteristics: Galli Ad, 0.74-1.85 GBq, radionuclide generator. EMA.https://mri.cts-mrp.eu/portal/details?productnumber=DK/H/2690/001Date accessed: October 1, 2021
- Promising innovative medicine designation for Novartis’ targeted radioligand theragnostics in prostate cancer. Pharmacia Field.https://pharmafield.co.uk/pharma_news/promising-innovative-medicine-designation-for-novartis-targeted-radioligand-theragnostics-in-prostate-cancer/Date accessed: October 1, 2021
- Report from the Diagnostic Imaging Clinical Committee – nuclear medicine. Medicare Benefits Schedule Review Taskforce.https://www.health.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/2021/06/final-clinical-committee-report-for-diagnostic-imaging-nuclear-medicine-final-clinical-committee-report-for-diagnostic-imaging-nuclear-medicine.docxDate accessed: January 28, 2021
- Pharmacoeconomic guidelines around the world. International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research.https://www.ispor.org/PEguidelines/Date accessed: July 26, 2018
- Technical guidelines for preparing assessment reports for the Medical Services Advisory Committee –medical service type: investigative (version 3.0). Australian Government Department of Health.http://www.msac.gov.au/internet/msac/publishing.nsf/Content/0BD63667C984FEEACA25801000123AD8/$File/InvestigativeTechnicalGuidelines-December-2016-Version-3.0.pdfDate accessed: February 5, 2019
- Public summary document: application 1632: PSMA PET/CT imaging for informing treatment of patients with prostate cancer. Australian Government Department of Health.http://www.msac.gov.au/internet/msac/publishing.nsf/Content/1632-publicDate accessed: October 26, 2021
- New diagnostic imaging Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS) items 61563 and 61564. Australian Government Department of Health.https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/new-diagnostic-imaging-medicare-benefits-schedule-mbs-items-61563-and-61564Date accessed: April 29, 2022
- Financial toxicity: a potential side effect of prostate cancer treatment among Australian men.Eur J Cancer Care (Engl). 2017; 26e12392
- Microcosting in Economic Evaluations: Issues of Accuracy, Feasibility, Consistency and Generalisability.Optima Grafische Communicatie, Rotterdam, The Netherlands2009
- Current rates of pay as at 12 February 2020. NSW Government.https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/careers/conditions/Pages/rates.aspxDate accessed: January 31, 2021
- Exploratory cost-effectiveness analysis of (68)gallium-PSMA PET/MRI-based imaging in patients with biochemical recurrence of prostate cancer.Clin Exp Metastasis. 2020; 37: 305-312
- Is prostate-specific membrane antigen positron emission tomography/computed tomography imaging cost-effective in prostate cancer: an analysis informed by the proPSMA trial.Eur Urol. 2021; 79: 413-418
- The clinical and cost effectiveness of fluorine- or gallium- prostate-specific membrane antigen (PSMA) positron emission tomography (PET) radiotracers in the investigation of recurrent prostate cancer. Health Technology Wales.https://www.healthtechnology.wales/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/EAR005-PSMA-PET-CT.pdfDate accessed: September 30, 2021
- Diagnostische methoden voor lymfeklierstadiëring bij prostaatcarcinoom.Ned Tijdschr Oncol (NTVO). 2017; 5: 167-174
- Modelling study with an interactive model assessing the cost-effectiveness of (68)Ga prostate-specific membrane antigen positron emission tomography/computed tomography and nano magnetic resonance imaging for the detection of pelvic lymph node metastases in patients with primary prostate cancer.Eur Urol Focus. 2020; 6: 967-974
- PET unit locations by Australian state and territory. Australian Government Department of Health.https://www1.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/pet-unit-locationsDate accessed: April 28, 2022