- •University-based education and professional training in health economics and pharmaceutical policy are helping to create a receptive environment, expertise, and local tools across many settings in Jordan.
- •Two distinct national health institutions embedded health technology assessment (HTA) into their reimbursement decisions: King Hussein Cancer Center and the Jordanian Royal Medical Services. Nevertheless, reimbursement decision-making processes vary across public health institutions, influencing the way in which HTA is implemented and used.
- •The existence of the National HTA Committee is a focal factor to accelerate the institutionalization of HTA at the national level in Jordan. Nevertheless, there is considerable resistance from various public health institutions to collaborate on data collection or sharing due to a lack of experts and time resources. Building capacity for HTA and experience sharing is a priority for further establishment of a national HTA work plan.
HTA capacity building
HTA institutionalization and its use in pricing and reimbursement decisions
Recommendations and future directions
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Capacity building for HTA implementation in middle-income countries: the case of Hungary.Value Health. 2013; 2: 264-266
- Global spending on health: a world in transition. World Health Organization.https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/WHO-HIS-HGF-HFWorkingPaper-19.4Date accessed: July 20, 2021
- Strengthening health financing systems in the eastern Mediterranean region towards universal health coverage: health financing atlas 2018. World Health Organization.https://apps.who.int/iris/handle/10665/311328Date accessed: August 15, 2021
- Impact of healthcare expenditures on healthcare outcomes in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region: a cross-country comparison, 1995-2015.Front Public Health. 2020; 8624962
- Health care and pharmacy practice in Jordan.Can J Hosp Pharm. 2017; 70: 150-155
- Implementation road map of health technology assessment in middle-income countries: the case of Jordan.Value Health Reg Issues. 2021; 25: 126-134
- Jordan national health accounts. USAID.https://pdf.usaid.gov/pdf_docs/Pnacl019.pdfDate accessed: May 18, 2021
- The influence of health technology assessment. INAHTA.http://www.inahta.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/INAHTA_Conceptual-Paper_Influence-of-HTA1.pdfDate accessed: December 23, 2018
- Implementation of health technology assessment in the Middle East and North Africa: comparison between the current and preferred status.Front Pharmacol. 2020; 11: 15
- Barriers to implementing pharmacoeconomics: interview study.Expert Rev Pharmacoecon Outcomes Res. 2021; 21: 93-104
- HTA implementation roadmap in Central and Eastern European Countries.Health Econ. 2016; 25: 179-192
- Defining capacity building in the context of HTA: a proposal by the HTAi Scientific Development and Capacity Building Committee.Int J Technol Assess Health Care. 2019; 35: 362-366
- Piloting the development of a cost-effective evidence-informed clinical pathway: managing hypertension in Jordanian primary care.Int J Technol Assess Health Care. 2011; 27: 151-158
- Drug selection for formulary inclusion: an exploratory case study of oncology medicines in Jordan.Value Health Reg Issues. 2020; 21: 211-221
- Awareness, knowledge, and attitudes of health professions students toward health economics and pharmacoeconomics education in Jordan.Curr Pharm Teach Learn. 2020; 12: 1072-1080
- Pharmacoeconomics education in WHO eastern Mediterranean region.Curr Pharm Teach Learn. 2015; 7: 819-825
Jordan Food and Drug Administration. In:2021. Accessed August 29, 2022. http://www.jfda.jo/.
- The use of economic evidence to inform drug pricing decisions in Jordan.Value Health. 2016; 19: 233-238
- Cost impact of purchasing pharmaceuticals jointly in the public health sector in Jordan.Jordan J Pharm Sci. 2011; 4: 97-104
- The price of medicines in Jordan: the cost of trade-based intellectual property.J Generic Med. 2012; 9: 75-85
- Availability, prices and affordability of selected essential medicines in Jordan: a national survey.BMC Health Serv Res. 2018; 18: 787
- Economic evaluation and the Jordan rational drug list: an exploratory study of national-level priority setting.Value Health. 2012; 15: 771-776
Health economics Diectorate. In:2021. [Online]. Accessed August 29, 2022. https://www.moh.gov.jo/Pages/viewpage.aspx?pageID=281.
- Implications of external price referencing of pharmaceuticals in Middle East countries.Expert Rev Pharmacoecon Outcomes Res. 2015; 15: 993-998
- Establishment and implementation of hospital-based health technology assessment at King Hussein Cancer Center: can our model be an example?.Int J Technol Assess Health Care. 2021; 37: e55
- What has health technology assessment ever done for us?.J Health Serv Res Policy. 2018; 23: 134-136